Friday, April 20, 2012

Sayonara Facebook

I did it again. I quit Facebook. This time (though I have not officially left the site) it's the real deal. I have a few reasons, but only 2 that really matter. 1. In a world where people are exceedingly pulling back from community and into themselves and their own lives, I find Facebook to be a false sense of community. You can have thousands of friends, but never truly know any of them. You can find out so much about people, yet never know what's on their heart. You can be present and accounted for, but never have be honest or real at the same time. I know a lot of people have a problem with this and that's ok. To me though, it's a matter of convictions and allowing the Holy Spirit to lead me where He wants me. To say that there is no good use for Facebook is wrong, but to say that there's no good use for Facebook for me is a different story. I'm trying to lead a life where I'm intentional and staying in community with those closest to me (whether in proximity or relation). For me to do this, I needed to rid myself of Facebook and it's temptation...which leads me to #2. 2. I really enjoyed seeing people's catchy posts, checking out there newest pics and staying up-to-date on what was going on with them (at least what they wanted to share), but I enjoyed it too much. I'd get sucked in and with nothing else to do on the computer I'd start looking at Facebook. Though I had nothing else to do on the computer, there were many other things that I needed to do with my time and was actively disregarding instead, most importantly, my devotion time to God. The more I realized this, the more I found Facebook to be an idol in my life, supporting other idols, such as gossip. Wow. That was a hard realization. I've tried to only get on once a day or only this time or that time, but I'm not very good those rules in my life. I'm not very disciplined (which is something I'm working on) and to keep myself holy and blameless in God's eyes (with respect to this one situation), it was best for me to remove the temptation from my life. So, that's the long and short of it: To me, Facebook is false community and idolatry. So, instead of Facebook, I'll be working better to keep this blog updated and keep it honest. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment